Hardware Questions

Stephen,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Glad to hear the Pi 3A + is supported. I believe at the time I picked one up it wasn’t yet supported. I have one set up now as an octopi/octoprint server for my 3D printer. However, your insight as to it being an ideal balance of size, weight, and performance makes perfect sense and is just the type of information I was looking for.

I’ll likely put the Pi3B+ back on printer duty, use the Pi3A+ for airside and pick up the Pi4B 2GB for the ground unit to keep the project cost down.

Here is the next question:

If I understand you correctly regarding powering the adapters separately would you suggest the item you referenced in another post? The 5V USB Head Switchboard This seems like a relatively straight forward solution. As my eyes and fat fingers are not well suited to the tiny soldering jobs. I prefer to keep soldering to a minimum unless absolutely necessary as well as not have to modify adapters either.

I’m hoping to pick up the Pi4B in the next couple of days then retrace my steps and see how much I can remember and reacquaint myself with what I had learned in the past regarding the setup.

My aim is to get a functional video platform set up for a fixed-wing then graduate towards experimenting with RC control as well.

Again, I appreciate the insight. Reading as much as I can in an attempt to resolve answers; however, sometimes it is difficult to sort through all the information and decipher what is current, relevant, current best practices or outdated and obsolete.

~BG~