Make the CSI Ribbon Cable to a Round Wound Cable

Hey everyone! So I wanted to put my pi cam into a gimbal. The problem was I wanted the raspberry pi separately on the body of the drone to reduce the weight on the gimbal head. Though I have seen exposed ribbon cables to bridge this gap by other people, it lacks flexibility or durability. The original plan was to purchase a wire wound ribbon cable like below:

However, soldering it would be a total pain in the butt.

So I decided to use a sharp knife and carefully split out each strand of the ribbon cable

I had concerns about the copper being exposed and shorting each other, but it appears there is sufficient white enamel to keep the edges insulated because I could not see raw copper on any of the separated strands. Multiple light passes between each copper strand prevents cutting into the copper on accident. Because it forms a slight ridge, with moderate precision the knifepoint will almost follow along the ridge making the job easier.
I double-checked the camera still worked fine with the modification, and surprisingly it did!

Next, I carefully stacked the strand in order on top of each other and wound it in Kapton tape:

And now I ended with a thin and flexible cable! Still a lot of work, it took me almost an hour, but much easier than trying to solder dozens of hair-thin wires

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. At the moment it seems to work flawlessly on the ground, however, I have yet to test its reliability in the air. Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment

5 Likes

That looks like a great solution. I don’t know if there are downsides to doing this as I don’t know much about these cables. I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks :blush:

1 Like

Thank you and sounds good! Keep in mind I still need to do more tests to make sure it’s reliable, at the moment it seems to be doing great on the desk! I’d suggest maybe purchasing a pack of CSI cables for they’re not too expensive and it’s great to have a few as a backup just in case. The only concern I can think of is if the enamel on the sides of each separated strand scratches off and potentially shorts each other. Hopefully the kapton and sandwiching them in order will prevent this. Tell me how it goes :wink:

1 Like

Now try that with a zero cable ha ha.

I took one look at how close the tracks are on the zeros csi cables and admitted defeat without even trying, they are half the size and spacing compared to the full width cable :frowning:

1 Like

Yes the zero cables are too thin :frowning: , Let me look into an alternative, I do think there are adapters for the zero to pi 3 csi cable adpaters

im amazed that there isnt a commercially available cable in standard or zero format thats round.

Actually there’s a company on Amazon that sells them. I ordered a variety size/length pack that I should be getting sometime this week. If you’re interested I’ll let you know how it works out for what I’m wanting it for?

1 Like

Any information regarding the csi cable would be great :slight_smile:! Thank you very much! Also I didn’t know there’s a company on amazon selling it, that’s awesome! May I have a link to take a look myself?

Hope this works, I’m not very good at adding links.

1 Like

Quick Update! DIY cable has been working decently, however I spot much more static when it’s bent a certain way, sadly I don’t think it’s reliable enough for flight. However Robert470 seems to have basically found the solution to my problem lol

Thank you so much! I have searched everywhere for something like this and somehow never seen that :sweat_smile:, my diy solution seems to have issues, no wonder why that commercial version has EMF shielding, could be the cause of my version’s static. The price is really not bad considering they give 4, and much better than an hour of carefully stripping cables XD

Received my cables the other day and thought I’d give ya a update on them. Very flexible and so far the one I’m using is working out great so far. Haven’t noticed any problems with it.

2 Likes

Thank you! Just got mine too!

What size is the diameter of this cable (the one from Amazon)?

so… is this just the standard cable with seperated ribbon and shrink around it?

Yes, but the commercial one claims to have some shielding, probably a thin foil

um it’s still flat, I’d say 3-4 mm