Pi HQ Cam maiden flight

This was my maiden with the pi HQ camera.
Recording stopped after ~15 minutes.
Max distance to home on this flight was 3 km.

Pi3a in air
Pi4b on ground
AR9271
RC4

Video settings:
1920x1080
48 FPS
Datarate 3 65%

I am really happy with the result :slight_smile:
(Besides the dirt on the lens)

5 Likes

Thats really nice!! I cant wait to get my HQ in the air

Thats awesome. I am just starting my first OpenHD build and this makes me want to do it faster.

A little bit blurry picture. Can we improve clarity on it?

What kind of lens did you use?

Maybe, have to set focus better and could use a bit more bitrate.

Was this recorded by the GroundPI orAirPi?

This is usb ground recording.

Short test flight between the rainshowers.
3km out and back with like no glitches :sunglasses:

720/48

nice picture. Can you try Datarate 4? The foliage on the trees is still blurred. Or is it youtube compression?

I tried with Datarate 4 but have issues on the bench, I suspect my external amplifier is not capable of doing this, but I don’t know.
Will re-build this plane with a ac56 as TX and check again.

1 Like

What’s about the latency? Is it comparable with the raspicam v2?

Hi, what raspvid camera settings have you used?

Yes, I think all csi cams are comparable in terms of latency as they are sending raw data to the gpu.

Default OpenHD settings

I asked because the standard raspicams takes around 40-50msec to retrieve the image line-by-line (rolling shutter). I guess the HQ-cam has also a rolling shutter but could bahave differently (more data to transfer to the gpu / but maybe faster).

This is a S mount lens, but the pi HQ camera requires a C or CS mount lens (or am I missing something?). Did you use an adaptor?

Hi,
Yes, I made fitting 3D printed M12 adapter. You can find it here in the forum as well.
But this was at a time when the arducam imx477 mini camera was not released. It’s basically the same camera just smaller and already comes with a M12 lens. (Ask their support for any FOV you may want)

1 Like