Stereoscopic video using a Jetson Nano and Arducam 2MP*2 Stereo Camera

I recently became interested in HD FPV again so I started looking around for interesting gear. That’s when I thought about whether it would be possible to use a Wisecoco dual 1440x1440 VR LCD Display from AliExpress that I just bought for VR tinkering, for 3D FPV.

I started looking around for possible cameras and came across a whole range of possible cameras the Arducam sells for use with the Jetson Nano and Xavier and Raspberry Pi. There’s a wide range of resolutions to choose from, but because the video encoding capabilities of the Raspberry Pis are weak, that leaves only the Jetson Nano as a possible choice.

After some calculation, I found out that 1440x1440 is the same as 1920x1080. The Jetson Nano is capable of encoding twice this resolution (two displays) at 60fps. The Jetson Nano dev kit weighs 138 grams, which isn’t light, but can certainly be carried by a reasonably sized drone.

The VR display kit requires a DisplayPort signal, which also eliminates the Raspberry Pi, without even taking into account the Pi’s decoding capabilities. That would mean two Nanos would be needed for a setup. Not cheap, but 3D FPV is not that common.

Let me know what you guys think. Is this worth building?

2 Likes

The VR Display: 205.17€ 21% OFF|120HZ 2K 2.9 "zoll mipi schnittstelle 1440*1440 VR AR lcd display panel mit Controller fahrer board|Tablett-LCDs und -Paneele| - AliExpress

Hello,

I think you are seeing this product: https://www.uctronics.com/arducam-2mp-stereo-camera-for-raspberry-pi-nvidia-jetson-nano-xavier-nx-dual-ov2311-monochrome-global-shutter-camera-module.html.
OV2311 Global Shutter camera(B0264) will be used only for Jetson in the future. We improved its ability to encode. Actually, you can get in touch with us quickly by contacting sales@arducam.com. We will evaluate your project and give you the proper choice.

Best regards,
Arducam Support Team