Wifi card not detected, occasional boot issues

I am having trouble. I do not know if the problems are related or not.

1. Boot problems: I have only been able to fully load up OpenHD once on the ground PI (the first time). All other times I have gotten stuck at the boot text, on the version checking screen, or on four pictures of raspberries. I always give it lots of time to boot, more that it took to boot the first time.

One possibility I think is the SD card because my Runcam and eachine DVR don’t like these Walmart no-name cards. But before I go and spend yet more money on SD cards, is there anything else it could be?

1. The ground PI does not detect the Wifi stick, and the Wifi stick LED never turns on. I have checked the connection with a voltmeter, 5.2 on +/-, and D+, D- are connected to the right pins in the first USB2 port. The wifi card on the air PI eventually turns on afted the PI zero starts up.

Could it be that it is looking on the wrong USB port? I could not follow the diagram in the getting stared guide exactly because it is a different PI. I have a PI4 which has usb3 ports in the center and usb2 on the outside, so I soldered to D+/- on the usb2 where it was easier.

When I did get booted up the first time, there was an repeating,
“FEC: 8/4/1024”
“Starting video RX”

(post deleted by author)

Also got stuck here.
Its not letting me link another photo, so I have to type this one out by hand…

"openhd login: root
Last login: Wed May …

The programs included in the Debian… bla bla
tty1
setting GPIO for board revsion: c03114 kernel ver:4
Failed: don’t know how to set GPIO for this board!
Use i2c-0 for the sensor (-y 0)
Error: Could not open file /dev/i2c-0 or `dev/i2c/0: no such file or …(edge of my picture)

Camera: supported=1 detected=0

intwifi0 IEEE 802.1 ESSID:off/any

Detected USB devices:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a86:e5e3 QinHeng Electronics
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
can’t get debug descriptor: Resource temporarily unavailable
can’t get device qualifier: Resource temporarily unavailable

temp=64.2`C
throttled=0x0

Why are my posts getting marked as spam? >:( I’m trying to post information that could be useful for others to help me with my problems

Hi Mate,
It is possible that you have multiple issues. The not booting past the initial screen is an indication of issues with the sd card. The repeating message is an indication of a poorly powered system in the air. How have you got it all wired up?

Thankyou for replying.

I’ll try another SD card.

I wired the pi zero for the air exactly like the instructions (PP22,PP23), which for now is powered from a 2.5A wall power supply.

The ground pi is a 4b+ with 4gb ram, connected to a 5.2v BEC from the gpio headers. The wifi stick is also connected to BEC. A wifi stick is connected to D+/- of the USB2 on the ground pi.

Powering from a wall adapter is not recommended. How is the wifi card powered airside? It is more important for Airside to have optimal power setup.

What OpenHD image are you using?

Ground: 5.2v BEC, Connected to +/- On wifi card, and to gpio 5v and gnd on the Pi4

Air: PiZero powered from wall adapter right now, Connected to solder pads on the bottom as per the guide. (Later I will connect it to another 5.2v Bec)

v2.0.12 on both

For issues with air, I believe your power solution is the cause.

For ground, there is a bug on Pi4 with more than 3gb of memory. Please use the following workaround.
Add the following to the bottom of config.txt:
[all]
total_mem=3072